Snapshot!
Previously...
Appetite for affection.   —   Horror Movies

Last week I watched an interesting zombie movie called Undead. It's an Australian flick that was released here in the states last year, one which wasn't too popular with the critics I'm afraid which is the only reason I have stayed away from it for so long. But a friend of mine, another horror geek like myself, recently saw the movie and urged me to give it a chance, so I did. The movie is reminiscent of Shaun of the Dead in the sense that it doesn't take itself too seriously but still does a good job in not being completely over the top corny. It does strange things with style, incorporating a bit of the Matrix's signature gun-fu, a bit of the more recently popular yellowing film trick (think Traffic), and also elements reminiscent of films like Slither, Dawn of the Dead (the remake version), and as mentioned before, Shaun of the Dead. The film has some interesting directing and cinematographer styles, and the script doesn't completely suck. Add to that a very strange plot twist with some, no kidding, aliens, and you've got yourself a fun and rather good tongue-in-cheek zombie flick. But Undead isn't what inspired this post today, it's just kind of on the same topic and fresh in my brain so I thought I'd start off with a mini movie review. What I wanted to talk about was the strange fixation we, as a culture, have with eating people.

Now, I'm not talking zombies and I'm not talking cannibalism. I'm speaking of something much more innocent but perhaps a tad more curious. What I'm referring to is what many would simply refer to as only a figure of speech, which I don't entirely disagree with but at the same time I know that a figure of speech starts somewhere and for a reason and I'd like to understand the basis of this one. Think of a woman who lays her eyes upon a cute little baby. What does she do? Well, what she does isn't as interesting as what she says. And what she says is, "That's the cutest little baby I've ever seen, he's so cute I just want to eat him up!" Say what? What drives this woman to say something so horrible as that she wants to eat this child because of his excessive cuteness? We hear things like this all the time, mostly in regards to something being cute, or with the amount of love we have for something, and it often times ends with, "I just want to eat you up!" Where does this saying come from? What demented depths of our human instinct shoves those words from our mouth? I'm guilty of the same thing, and rather often I'd have to say. Not in regards to babies but to my own adorable and dearly loved pussycats. Being of the more eccentric and horrific vein of thinking my little phrases usually aren't restricted to blah blah blah ... "eat you up" but other more twisted detailed actions of ingesting that I'll spare you from. But nonetheless, that desire to say those things is there. Do I really want to eat my cats? Well, of course not. Do women really want to eat babies? Actually, I have no idea, but I'm guessing no as well.

So why do we say it? Perhaps it's just a term of affection, but then again eating someone would not be considered affectionate. Or would it be? There are certainly some cultures out there that believe if you eat the heart of an animal you ingest their soul and in doing so you make that animal spirit a part of your own. Adam suggested that the phrase is just a warped way to signify the desire to groom something or someone. And of course grooming, in the animal kingdom, is a sign of affection and trust, a recognition of family. Although the detached sense with which most of us approach food tends to argue against my theory, it's nonetheless the idea that I always come back to, that the desire to say "I want to eat you up!" stems from the desire to make that something a part of you. And to do so through ingesting is a true sense of intimacy and affection because you in turn carry that someone or something inside of you. So does this mean that zombies seek human flesh because of their great love for our species and their desire to consume our livelihood, our spirit, our cuteness, to make it a part of their own? Of course not, don't be ridiculous. But the next time you say, "You're so adorable, I just want to eat you alive!", consider your words and visualize their implication, the tearing of flesh, the pools of blood, the cries of pain, and perhaps rephrase your affections.

Posted 5.23.2006 10:19:27 AM

Replies
VBOT wrote:
i would eat you. or at least your pretty pretty toes...
Posted 5/23/2006 7:47:59 PM
Organgrinder wrote:
God most of the time I wish this was a more literal statement. There are a few things I'd like to eat because they're sooo "Cute" and by cute I mena really fucking annoying.
Posted 5/25/2006 9:49:02 AM
Malcolm wrote:
I saw this movie "hostel" by quentin tarantino - pretty cool if you like this genre. there was this movie "the hills have eyes" which is about a bunch of mutated miner's kids living in mexico or somewhere who turned into cannibals... pretty gross.

i'm looking for friends in new york. my website is: http://thehustlerdiaries.blogspot.com/

care to be friends?
;)
Posted 5/31/2006 10:57:36 PM
Doll wrote:
Hey Malcolm - thanks for stopping by. I saw "Hostel" a few weeks ago and thought it an atrociously bad movie. I've heard quite a few people say they thought the movie was awesome but I just couldn't find anything good about it whatsoever. The movie isn't by Quentin Tarantino, it's by Eli Roth, the same guy who brought us Cabin Fever. Quentin is credited as a "presenter" for Hostel. The Hills Have Eyes is a great movie, at least the 1977 version of it, the remake done this year is an okay movie I guess, it just didn't do much in the way of changing things up a bit. I mean, if you're going to make a remake, what's the point if it's almost scene for scene of the original? Unless it's delibrate like Gus Van Sant did for the 1998 version of Psycho.
Posted 6/1/2006 7:29:07 AM
Mr. Space wrote:
Omen remake is looking like dialogue for dialogue trailer-wise. Although I can't understand why Damian is waving at his mother while she falls. I thought it was much creepier in the original that he doesn't comment on it at all and just goes back to playing.
Posted 6/1/2006 10:53:17 AM
Doll wrote:
We saw the trailer for the remake in the theater before X-Men 3, Adam turned to me and said, "I think we saw that movie". yup.
Posted 6/1/2006 12:19:29 PM
VBOT wrote:
how was X3?
Posted 6/2/2006 1:59:09 AM
Doll wrote:
X3 was great! A very fun movie that didn't suck at all.
Posted 6/3/2006 11:55:46 PM
Darnell wrote:
the way bloggers should interact and behave with their readers, as I think that is what matters most, because social media is all about being social and connecting with people.

http://allin1panel.com/blog/social-media-marketing-2/
Posted 3/17/2017 5:13:04 AM


Leave a Reply
Your Reply:
Name:
Email:
Website:

Save my info for future replies.
I Am Not a Robot: Change Image


Back in the City.
Newer Post
  Dull like flat paint.
Older Post


Horror Movie Reviews

Movies in the Dark